BungalowView Related Properties
Last Entry Update:
Although some architectural historians distinguish between the Craftsman Style and Bungalows, the distinctions disappear when examining the less stylish examples of the two types such as those found in the Witherspoon-Jackson community. Bungalows were a 1-story building type that was common at the same time as the American Foursquare, and several general trends of the time left a mark on both building types. Both were widely available as “kit houses” that were shipped in crates containing all the separate building elements needed for construction along with a small assembly booklet. Perhaps the most notable architectural similarity is the front porch design, which often featured a stubby column standing on top of a masonry pier. Also like the American Foursquare, only one Bungalow is shown on the Sanborn Atlas of 1918 in the Witherspoon-Jackson community, leaving the bulk of the examples for the latter half of the time window in which Bungalows were constructed.
The oldest Bungalow in the community is the house at 98 Birch Avenue, the only Bungalow shown on the Sanborn Atlas of 1918 in the Witherspoon-Jackson community. The house features a hipped roof dormer over an incised porch that features square piers supporting the eaves. Note that unlike the sole American Foursquare shown in 1918, this Bungalow has a concrete foundation (rather than a stone-faced concrete foundation).
Bungalows both in the community and throughout the nation vary widely in appearance. They may have front end gabled roofs, pyramidal roofs, or end gabled roofs; porches of varying types and designs; and with optional dormers. A row of Bungalows is located on the north side of Birch Avenue near Witherspoon Street. The eastern Bungalow in this row has been demolished, leaving four that were originally nearly identical in appearance. They feature an asymmetrical gabled roof with a long shed dormer that faces over an incised porch. These houses are very similar in design to the Sears kit house known as the Glyndon that was available from 1911 until 1922.