Notice of Geotechnical Exploration Work on Witherspoon Street Friday, August 21, 2020 7:00 am to 5:00 pm
We want your feedback on your recent trip to Princeton; please take the Witherspoon StrEAT Survey
The Princeton Engineering and Planning Departments are jointly launching a master planning process to improve Witherspoon Street, from Nassau Street to Valley Road. The improvements will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Curb and sidewalk replacement. On the southern end of Witherspoon Street, this will extend from building frontage to building frontage.
- Crosswalk replacements.
- Traffic signal improvements at Paul Robeson Place / Wiggins Street / Witherspoon Street.
- Road repaving.
- Updated street lighting.
- Street tree removals and replacements.
- Storm and sanitary sewer improvements, as needed.
- Place making and streetscape improvements such as benches, bike racks, bike corrals,newspaper receptacles, and trash receptacles.
- Other utility company improvements.
The first phase of this project was to gather data on the street regarding the roadway features as well as the private basement areas that are accessed via the public sidewalks to create a map of Witherspoon Street.
In February – April 2020, the Engineering and Planning Department will conduct public engagement events,surveys and other outreach to gather input regarding the needs and desires for Witherspoon Street.
In April 2020, the Engineering Department will prepare schematic design drawings for the entire Witherspoon Street corridor reflecting the master plan for imminent and future improvements.
In May - November 2020,the Engineering Department will prepare construction plans for Witherspoon Street (Nassau Street to Green Street). Princeton has a grant from the New Jersey Department of Transportation toward the construction costs, and this construction must be undertaken in Spring / Summer 2021.