Private Site Developments

Learn about Engineering Department's role in developments
Phone NumberEmail Address

The Engineering Department reviews and provides engineering approval of site plans for the following types of developments on private property, as a pre-approval for the Building Department and / or Zoning Department:

1.  Demolition of an existing structure

2. Construction of a new house

3. Improvement(s) to an existing house / property that add 400 square feet of new impervious coverage including but not limited to additions, pools, patio or deck,


Impervious coverage is defined as any surface that has been compacted or covered with a layer of material so that it is highly resistant to infiltration by water. 
Impervious surfaces include roofs, asphalt, concrete and stone roads, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, porous asphalt or concrete, pools and patios.


Outside Agency Approval is required prior to the Engineering approval for the following:

·   Disturbance of 5,000 square feet or more - Mercer County Soil Conservation District (MCSCD) approval

·    Wetlands or flood hazard area encroachment - NJDEP approval.

·   Any disturbance on properties within a C1  Riparian Buffer may require NJDEP approval.

      Link to DEP


During construction, the Engineering Department will perform periodic site inspections to assure compliance with the following areas of Engineering approval:

·  Stormwater management (drywells, raingarden, roof leader piping, etc.)

·  Final site grading prior to seed or sod

·  Curb, sidewalk, and roadway excavations for utility connections within the public right of way


Upon completion of construction, the Engineering Department will complete a final inspection prior to consideration of providing a pre-approval for a Certificate of
Occupancy.  Please note, the applicant must contact Mercer Soil Conservation District for final compliance inspection and certification; the Engineering Department will not issue a pre-approval without MCSCD acceptance.  

Improvements to an Existing Structure-Permits and Procedure

The Engineering Department reviews and provides pre-approval of site plans for improvements that create 400 square feet or more of impervious surface in accordance with the standards included in the Engineering Site Review Application.  The following documents shall be submitted for approval:

  • Engineering Site Review Application
  • Tree Removal Permit Application, if tree removal is proposed
  • Application to Excavate in the Public Right of Way for any construction work proposed in the public right of way.
  • Stormwater management calculations

Construction of a New House-Procedures and Permits Required

New home site plans shall be submitted in accordance with the standards included in the Engineering Site Review Application to the Engineering Department with the following documents and fee:

  • ‍$750.00
  • Tree Removal Permit Application
  • Application To excavate in the Public Right-of-Way for any construction work proposed in the public right of way.
  • Stormwater management calculations           

Demolition of Existing Structure-Procedure and Required Permits

Demolition of Existing House

Engineering approval of demolition site plans is contingent upon on-site inspection and approval of tree protection and / or silt fencing. 

Link to Demolition Permit Application and Check List

Additional Resources

No items found.

Relevant Documents

No items found.
2018 Annual Police Report22

No items found.


No items found.


No items found.