Arts Council of Princeton
Number of Resources:
Number of Stories:
Resource consists of a two story post modern brick and glass addition built after 2010 to an earlier two story hip roofed brick building. The addition is at the corner of Witherspoon St. and Paul Robeson Pl and is the new entrance to the building. The second level of the addition is substantially glazed with a gridded window system. The earlier brick section of the building has continuous strip windows on the first level with larger multi-lite windows above. A recessed porch on the north side is located atop a set of concrete steps and provides the historic entrance into the building.
The northeast part of the building was constructed in 1917 to serve as the Colored YMCA to replace an earlier building that burned. The "Y" provided recreational and educational activities such as summer Bible school, sports, classes, and community events. In addition to the churches, the YMCA was the focal point of the Black community. In 1938- 39, the original building was replaced to this present building which has been renovated and expanded and is now the Arts Council of Princeton. (Source: HPC information)