Located at the intersection of Nassau and Harrison Streets, this area was originally settled in 1695. By the early-eighteenth century, Jugtown had become a thriving hamlet of houses, stores, a hotel, and a pottery works, from which the neighborhood derives its name. The district's beginnings are visible in the modest brick dwellings of the eighteenth century, which were joined later by elegant wood-framed Federal-style dwellings with delicate carved wood details and fanlights. During the nineteenth century, the neighborhood came to include houses in a wider variety of architectural styles. Queen Anne and Colonial Revival dwellings of the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century completed the district.