Treatment Works Approvals

 A "sewer extension" is any system of pipes, structures, or appurtenances used to convey sanitary sewage that:

  • Extends along a roadway, along a public right-of-way, or along an easement through more than two properties;
  • Conveys flows from more than two buildings; or
  • Conveys, or will convey, 8,000 gallons per day or more of sewage.

Sewer extensions must be designed in accordance with Princeton Ordinances, including Ordinance #2021-35 Article V. Sewer Extensions (PDF), and N.J.A.C. 7:14A-22 and 23

A Treatment Works Approval (TWA) is required from the NJDEP Division of Water Quality and the Stony Brook Regional Sewerage Authority (SBRSA) prior to construction of a sewer extension.  Even if a development does not otherwise meet the definition of a sewer extension, a TWA is required from the SBRSA for any development that will produce 2,000 gallons per day or more of sewage. 

All TWA applications must be reviewed and approved by the Princeton Sewer Department before being submitted to the NJDEP and SBRSA . The NJDEP and SBRSA will not accept TWA applications that have not received Princeton Sewer Department approval. 

Provide copies of all completed and signed TWA application forms in PDF. Provide paper originals of all forms bearing signatures in addition to the PDF copies. Use this version of the WQM 003T Statements of Consent Form which has sections A-1 through C prefilled. Include Resolution 21-174 Authorizing Sewer Engineer to Execute TWAs (PDF) with the TWA application packet. 

Provide engineering and architectural plans in PDF. If the PDF is not digitally signed and sealed, provide a signed and sealed paper plan set in addition to the PDF. Plans must meet the requirements stated in N.J.A.C. 7:14A-23.4. 

Visit the Division of Water Quality’s website for more information and to download the TWA application forms