Construction work must be inspected in accordance with the State Uniform Construction Code Regulations NJ.A.C. 5:23-2.18. This agency will carry out such periodic inspections during the progress of work as are necessary to ensure that work installed conforms to the approved plans and the requirements of the Uniform Construction Code. The owner or other responsible person in charge of work must notify this department when work is ready for any required inspections based upon the job description.
Request for Inspection
Requests for inspections must be made at least 48 hours prior to the time the inspection is desired. Inspections will be performed within 3 to 5 business days of the time for which they are requested. The work must not proceed in a manner that will preclude the inspection until it has been made and approval given.
Required Inspections for One & Two-Family Dwellings
Required inspections for all subcodes for one and two-family dwellings are the following:
- All structural framing and connections prior to covering with the finish of:
- Electrical rough wiring, panels, and service installations
- Infill material
- Insulation installations
- Plumbing of:
- Rough piping
- Septic services
- Storm drains
- Underground services
- Water service
- The bottom of footing trenches before placement of footings, except that in the case of pile foundations, inspections shall be made in accordance with the requirements of the building subcode
- Foundations and all walls up to grade level prior to backfilling
- Installation of all finished materials including:
- Electrical wiring, devices, and fixtures
- Mechanical systems equipment
- Plumbing piping, trim, and fixtures
- Sealings of exterior joints
Required special inspections
The applicant by accepting the permit will be deemed to have consented to these requirements:
- A final inspection is required for each applicable subcode area before a final Certificate of Occupancy or Approval may be issued.
- Any violations of the approved plans and/or permit will be noted and the holder of the permit notified of discrepancies.
- A complete copy of department-approved plans must be kept on the job site for all inspections.