- Engineering Department
- Infrastructure Projects
- Witherspoon Street Improvements Project
Witherspoon Street Improvements Project
The project begins at Nassau Street and ends at Green Street.
We are issuing weekly updates with the Construction Newsletters. The public is encouraged to sign up for these updates by providing your email address in the top right corner of this webpage.
In order to maintain access to businesses and residences along the corridor, the construction period is expected to last until May 2023. Road, curb, and sidewalk replacement will take place in stages 1-4.
- Stage 1 - The western half of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Hulfish Street.
- Stage 2 - The eastern half of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Spring Street.
- Stage 3 - The east curb of Witherspoon Street between Spring Street and Green Street.
- Stage 4 - The west curb of Witherspoon Street between Spring Street and Green Street.
Full-width road replacement, striping, landscaping, overhead signal, and final cleanup will take place in Stage 5 between Spring Street and Green Street.
Phase 1 of Witherspoon Street includes underground utility upgrades, sidewalk removal and replacement, tree removal and replacement, roadway surface removal and replacement, and signal timing updates at the Paul Robeson / Wiggins / Witherspoon intersection.
The project begins at Green Street and ends at Leigh Avenue.
Princeton awarded the project to S. Brothers Inc. at the February 13th council meeting. We will be issuing weekly alerts in the Construction Newsletter as done for the Phase 1 project. The public will be encouraged to sign up for these updates once construction begins.
The construction period is expected to last 12 months; June is the anticipated starting time frame. A Neighborhood Preconstruction Meeting (English) (Spanish) will be held on Wednesday, May 24th at 7:00 p.m. in the Main Meeting Room at 400 Witherspoon Street. Residents and businesses are encouraged to attend.
The construction of pedestrian and roadway improvements in Phase 2 of the Witherspoon Street project will include the following major work activities:
- Underground utility upgrades
- Tree removal and replacement
- Sidewalk removal and expansion
- Roadway surface removal and replacement