Witherspoon Street Improvements Project
The project begins at Nassau Street and ends at Green Street.
Phase 1 Construction has come to a close. Construction Newsletters will continue in the next phases of the Witherspoon Street Improvements. The public is encouraged to sign up for these updates by providing your email address in the top right corner of this webpage.
The construction period was completed in 4 stages as of June 2023. Road, curb, and sidewalk replacement took place in all stages 1-4.
- Stage 1 - The western half of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Hulfish Street.
- Stage 2 - The eastern half of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Spring Street.
- Stage 3 - The east curb of Witherspoon Street between Spring Street and Green Street.
- Stage 4 - The west curb of Witherspoon Street between Spring Street and Green Street.
Full-width road replacement, striping, landscaping, overhead signal, and final cleanup will take place in Stage 5 between Spring Street and Green Street.
Phase 1 of Witherspoon Street includes underground utility upgrades, sidewalk removal and replacement, tree removal and replacement, roadway surface removal and replacement, and signal timing updates at the Paul Robeson / Wiggins / Witherspoon intersection.
The project begins at Green Street and ends at Leigh Avenue.
Underground utilities, sidewalk and curb replacement on Witherspoon Street are underway. Weekly progress updates will be issued in the Construction Newsletter as done for the Phase 1 project. The public is encouraged to sign up for these updates once construction begins.
- Stage 1 - The western half of Witherspoon Street between Green Street and Leigh Avenue.
- Stage 2 - The eastern half of Witherspoon Street between Green Street and Leigh Avenue.
- Stage 3 - The raised crosswalks between Green Street and Leigh Avenue.
- Stage 4 -Full-width road replacement, striping, landscaping, and final cleanup
Construction began in June 2023 and is expected to last 12 months. A Neighborhood Preconstruction Meeting (English) (Spanish) was held on Wednesday, May 24, and Wednesday, May 31 at 7:00 p.m. in the Main Meeting Room at 400 Witherspoon Street.
The construction of pedestrian and roadway improvements in Phase 2 of the Witherspoon Street project will include the following major work activities:
- Underground utility upgrades
- Tree removal and replacement
- Sidewalk removal and expansion