212 John Street
- Historic Name: 212 John Street
- Address: 212 John Street
- Tax Parcel: 1114_15.04_6
- Historic District: Witherspoon-Jackson
- Historic Style: Italianate
- Historic Street: John Street
- Classification: Contributing
- Number of Resources: 1
- Number of Stories: 2
- Material: Stucco
- Historic Function: Domestic
- Current Function: Domestic
The property contains a 2-story house with a 2-story rear addition. The key feature of the core is its balcony on the east elevation. The core has an end-gabled roof facing east to John Street. The roof is clad with asphalt shingles and features aluminum eaves. The walls are stuccoed. Windows are a replacement unit with simulated divided lights; they are aligned vertically on the two main floor levels but are not symmetrically spaced. On the main (east) elevation, the second floor has a replacement door in the offset center bay that opens onto the balcony above the front porch; the balcony has a light iron railing. The first floor has a replacement door near the northeast corner with two windows to the south. Four banded square posts support the balcony to shade the first floor. A set of concrete steps leads down from the grade of the porch to the lawn, with a concrete walk continuing to the gate through the brick wall.
The south end of the core features two second-floor windows, one first-floor window, and a horizontal basement window in the stucco-clad foundation. The north end features no windows on the main floors but a square basement window.
The rear addition is a full-length section that extends the house to the west. It has a gabled roof clad with asphalt shingles and a small brick chimney at the west end of the ridge. The walls are stuccoed. Fenestration consists of replacement 1x1 double-hung sash windows, arranged in three bays on the north wall and five on the south wall. Some windows on the south wall are paired, with a segmental arch above the paired unit. A small gabled hood protects a rear entrance located atop a small brick stoop. The section has several horizontal basement windows in the concrete foundation.
The garage is a 1-story, 1-bay building in the rear of the lot. It has a pyramidal roof and a wide bay facing east.
The house was constructed c. 1893. Historic maps as late as the map of 1890 show a vacant lot in this location. The house first appears on the map of 1895 and appears on all subsequent historic maps and aerials. (Sources: Map, Sanborn atlas)