Witherspoon Street Improvement Project
We want your feedback on your recent trip to Princeton; please take the Witherspoon StrEAT Survey.
The Princeton Engineering and Planning Departments are jointly launching a master planning process to improve Witherspoon Street, from Nassau Street to Valley Road. The improvements will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Crosswalk replacements
- Curb and sidewalk replacement on the southern end of Witherspoon Street; this will extend from building frontage to the building frontage
- Other utility company improvements
- Placemaking and streetscape improvements such as benches, bike racks, bike corrals, newspaper receptacles, and trash receptacles
- Road repaving
- Storm and sanitary sewer improvements, as needed
- Street tree removals and replacements
- Traffic signal improvements at Paul Robeson Place / Wiggins Street / Witherspoon Street
- Updated street lighting
The first phase of this project was to gather data on the street regarding the roadway features as well as the private basement areas that are accessed via the public sidewalks to create a map of Witherspoon Street.
- In February 2020, the Engineering and Planning Department conducted a public meeting regarding the conceptual layout of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Valley Road.
- In September 2020, the Engineering and Planning Department conducted a second public meeting regarding the conceptual layout of Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Green Street.
- It is anticipated that a third public meeting will occur in December 2020 after the receipt of a traffic study for potential modifications to Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Green Street.
- Construction of sanitary sewer improvements between Nassau Street and Green Street is anticipated to occur in early 2021. Construction of roadway improvements is anticipated to occur in mid to late 2021.
- Witherspoon Street Council Meeting Presentation 2-16-2021 (PDF)
- Memo - Historic Preservation Commission Meeting 1-25-2021 (PDF)
- Witherspoon Street Design Concept (PDF)
- Witherspoon Street 12-7-20 Council Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- Witherspoon Traffic Study Report December 2020 (PDF)
- Traffic Study Technical Appendix December 2020 (PDF)
- 12-3-2020 Witherspoon Street Business Stakeholder Meeting PowerPoint (PDF)
- Witherspoon Street Concepts September 2020 (PDF)
- Public Comments Witherspoon Meeting 1 (PDF)
- Witherspoon Notice 1 (PDF)
- Witherspoon Street Concepts Final (PDF)
- Witherspoon Survey Results as of 9-05-2020 (PDF)
- 2-13-2020 Public Meeting - Spanish (PDF)
- 2-13-2020 Public Meeting (PDF)
- 8-27-20 Witherspoon Basement Survey Letter (PDF)
- 9-15-2020 Witherspoon Design Meeting 2 (PDF)
- 8-21-2020 Notice of Geotechnical Exploration Work on Witherspoon Street (PDF)