Landscape Contractor Regulations
In October 2021, Princeton Council adopted Ordinance 2021-32 (PDF), which included amendments to the existing landscaper registration requirements beginning on page 3 of Ordinance 2021-3 (PDF) and to the existing noise ordinance beginning on page 8 of Ordinance 2021-32 (PDF) Princeton Council seeks to protect the health and well-being of landscaping workers by amending the landscaper registration regulations to include Federal and New Jersey wage and hour laws, and workers’ compensation insurance.
A 90-day grace period from violation fines, expiring on / about January 27, 2022, was established in the ordinance to provide residents and landscapers time to adapt to the new regulations.
Landscape contractors will be required to register and provide a Certificate of Insurance showing that said applicant has purchased and maintains workers' compensation insurance from an insurance company licensed in the State of New Jersey as may be required by law.
- Landscaper Registration Application - English (Online)
- 2022 Solicitud de Registro para Contratistas de Servicios de Jardinería
Contractors are advised that the following information must be uploaded with their online application:
- Acknowledgment of Princeton’s Leaf and Branch Program Regulations (Ord. 2018-12, Sec.19-1.5.)
- Acknowledgment of Princeton’s Sustainable Landscaping Noise Ordinance (PDF) regulations
- Acknowledgment of access to Federal and New Jersey wage and hour laws
- Workers’ compensation insurance certificate from an insurance company licensed in the State of New Jersey as may be required by law
Contractors exempted from Princeton’s registration requirement per Ordinance 2021-32 (PDF) Section 10C-5 :
- Home improvement contractors
- State-licensed tree care service contractors
- Persons specifically exempted
Princeton may temporarily suspend registration of a landscaper for a period not to exceed one week or until the Mayor and Council can be convened for the following issues:
- Claims of wage theft which have not been addressed by the registered landscape contractor
- Emergency affecting public health, safety, and welfare